This beautiful itinerary is highlighting all the best places in the north of Oman from the glamorous city Muscat to the mountains of Dakhiliyah Region, until the stunning desert and wadis of Al Sharqiya Region.
- From Muscat airport or from any hotel within Muscat City
- Day 1: Half day Muscat City Tour visiting Grand Mosque – Royal Opera House- Muttrah – photo stop at Al Alam Palace and Mirani and Jalali Forts – Bait Zubair Museum
- Day 2: Barka – Nakhal – Wakan Village
- Day 3: WadiBaniAwf – Mountain Crossing up to Jebel Shams Grand Canyon
- Day 4: Misfat Al Abreen – Al Hamra – Nizwa Fort and Souq
- Day 5: Jabrin castle – Bahla Fort – Izki Beehive Tombs - Nizwa
- Day 6: Birkat Al Mauz – FalajDaris – JabalAkdhar Mountain
- Day 7: Ibra – Wahiba Desert Sands
- Day 8: WadiBani Khalid – Sur –Ras Al Hadd
- Day 9: WadiShab – Fins Beach
- Day 10: WadiTiwi – Bimah Sinkhole – Wadi Dam - Muscat
What is included in the tour
- 8Nights Accommodation at the interior hotels/camp as per above mentioned hotels.
- Daily breakfast and dinner at the hotels
- Professional English-Speaking Guide cum driver during the tour
- Entrance Fees where applicable
- A comfortable vehicle during the trip (including 4WD vehicle from Day 2 to Day 10)
- Supply of water and soft drinks during the tour
What is NOT included in the tour
- Tips and porterage to the tour guide, hotels, restaurants, etc.
- Lunches and any other meals not mentioned in the inclusions column
- Any item on personal nature
Day 1: Half day Muscat City Tour visiting Grand Mosque – Royal Opera House- Muttrah – photo stop at Al Alam Palace and Mirani and Jalali Forts – Bait Zubair Museum
- At 0900hrs, you will be pick-up from your hotel within Muscat area (on your own booking) to start the Muscat City tour.We will take you first to the Grand Mosque, one of the largest mosques in the world. Tip: Grand Mosque is open 0800-1100 hours Sat-Thurs; visitors must be dressed appropriately. Ladies should have their heads covered with a scarf and long sleeved blouses and legs covered. Men must also be fully covered. Slip on shoes are recommended for this visit to the Mosque]
- Here you can admire the second largest handmade carpet in the world and the famous chandelier in the main prayer hall.
- Leaving the mosque, we will then drive to the Royal Opera House to see this beautiful architecture.
- Then we continue to Muttrah where you will walk along the corniche to the famous Mutrah Souq, a colourful market with many small alleyways and passages in which you will find an assortment of souvenirs, antiques and delightful treasures.
- Our next stop is the magnificent Al Alam Palace in old Muscat which is the official Palace of his Majesty Royal Highness Sultan Qaboos. It is flanked by the 16th century Portuguese forts Mirani&Jalali. Then we visit the Bait Al Zubair Museum, a nice small private omani heritage museum near the palace, in which you can see typical Omani dresses, weapons and jewelry among many other items.
- After the tour, return to your hotel (on your booking) and free time at your own leisure.
Day 2: Barka – Nakhal – Wakan Village
- After breakfast and check-out, we will leave Muscat and drive towards Barka and pass by at Fish Market where you can see locals in action.
- Afterwards, we continue to Nakhal where you will visit the beautiful Nakhl Fortress. It lies at the foothills of the mountains in a nice small village which grows extensive date palm plantations. This magnificent 350 years old fortress rises out of the mountain rock, towering high above the ancient village, as if still warning would-be attackers of its ominous strength. You can stroll around the inside of this restored fortress and visit all the rooms which have been nicely decorated in the original old style. The view from the top of the fortress over the mountains and green date plantations is outstanding. You will also visit the Ayn Al Thawara Hot Spring where you can relax in a mineral water which is believed to have many therapeutic benefits.
- Afterwards, we drive to Wakan Village, one of the most beautiful village in Oman, a quaint little village that sits 2,000m above sea level. We will check-in at Sama Heritage Homes-Wakan which is a renovated traditional Omani old house. After some rest, you can spend some time around walking around village which is rich with flora and fauna, from palm plantations to farms of fruit fields.
- Dinner and overnight at Sama Heritage Homes-Wakan.
Day 3: WadiBaniAwf – Mountain Crossing up to Jebel Shams Grand Canyon
- After breakfast, we will start an adventurous day, we drive to the Al Hajar Mountain Range where we will drive off-road to enter WadiBaniAwf. A gravel road leads into this narrow Wadi which is flanked by dramatically high vertical walls. You will pass by some small villages and date plantations before we reach the famous “Snake Canyon”, a narrow gorge in the middle of wadibaniawf. From here you can take a walk into the Wadi which is still very green at that point. If you walk 15 minutes and you are lucky, you can find some water pools in which you can refresh and swim. (The trekking at Snake Canyon requires one full day, a proper equipment and professional climbing guide therefore we do not include it on this itinerary.)
- Afterwards, we drive up to mountain. This road is one of the most adventurous in Oman, offering exciting off-road experience and fantastic views. We stop at Jebel Shams Grand Canyon which is the highest peak of Oman offering spectacular views of the wadis and valleys below.
- Dinner and Overnight at Sama Heights Resort.
Day 4: Misfat Al Abreen – Al Hamra – Nizwa Fort and Souq
- After breakfast, we drive to Misfat al Abreen. This picture village lies on a steep slope at the foot of Jebel Shams, which consists of old homes and narrow streets. It has a large Falaj system which supplies water for many orchards, date palms and vegetables. It is worth to spend at least 1 ½ hours walking around the village. There are marked footpaths through the village and surrounding area.
- Afterwards, we drive to Al Hamra to visit a cute little museum, which opened up in one of the old restored houses within the village. Some Omani woman will show you around a traditional 7 bedroom house. They will also demonstrate how they used to make coffee, food and pottery in the old days. After the small tour you will be lead into a Majilis (Omani living room) to have Omani coffee/tea and dates.
- We proceed to Nizwa where we will visit the NizwaSouq which is among the largest of its kind in the country. A wide variety of vendors offer their goods in the streets of the souk from 05:00 am to about 10:00 am each morning. Here you can find fish, meat, vegetables, pottery, jewellery, handicrafts and souvenirs which are sold in authentic old market halls that few places can boast.
- Next to the Souq is Nizwa Fortress. The fort is a museum today and offers splendid views of this ancient town and the surrounding mountains. You can walk around in this impressive fortress and visit its many rooms, passages and towers. The fort is an architectural testimony to the economic and military achievements of the early Yaruba dynasty from the mid-17th century. It was a military stronghold designed to withstand even the strongest of attacks at the time. Even along the corridors, many traps were laid to deter any intruders that might have penetrated the defences.
- Check-in, dinner and overnight at Al Diyar Hotel
Day 5: Jabrin castle – Bahla Fort – Izki Beehive Tombs - Nizwa
- After your breakfast, we visit the Jabrin Castle. This castle was originally designed as a residential palace in 1670 by Sultan bin Saif Al in the Ya'arubi Dynasty. An extensive renovation was carried out in 1984. The interior includes various furniture and traditional utensils to provide visitors with a taste of period castle lifestyle. The building itself is decorated with elaborate wood carvings; ceiling paintings and stucco work.
- For the next stop you visit the Bahla Fortress (one of the oldest remaining strongholds in Oman and has been listed by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site in 1988).The Castle is a walled triangular-shaped building, with its wall stretching for 12 Km surrounding the old town of Bahla, and it encompasses 132 watchtowers with guardrooms. Bahla Town is also known as pottery town so you can have chance to see small pottery along the way.
- After this visit, drive to Izki to visit the Beehive tombs which is a sample of settlements and necropolises from 3rd Millennium BC.
- After this return back to your hotel in Nizwa for dinner and overnight.
Day 6: Birkat Al Mauz – FalajDaris – JabalAkdhar Mountain
- After a nice relaxing breakfast, check-out and drive towards Birkat Al Mauz, with its old Village ruins and Banana and Date plantations. We will also visit the FalajDaris which is the biggest Falaj in Oman, and a UNESCO World Heritage site. The origin of this “Falaj” system irrigation may date back to AD 500.
- From there we drive up to Jebel Akhdarmountain.
- Jebel Akhdar translates to "Green Mountain" and is one of the most scenic areas in Oman. There are many fruit plantations and rose gardens (rose blooming season is May-Sept). It offers some nice walks with fantastic valley views and some wadis and some abandoned villages to visit.
- Dinner and Overnight at SamaJabal Akhdar Hotel 4*
Day 7: Ibra – Wahiba Desert Sands
- After breakfast and enjoying the scenery at the hotel, check-out and drive to Ibra to visit the colourful the local Market (Souq) and the old ancient Village of Ibra.
- Afterwards, drive to Wahiba Desert Sands where a luxury private camp set up in a stunning landscape will be waiting for you. You will watch the beautiful sunset on one of the big sand dunes. We finish the day with a dinner at the camp and a nice relaxing time around a romantic campfire.
- Overnight at Desert Palm Camp or Safari Desert Camp.
Day 8: WadiBani Khalid – Sur –Ras Al Hadd
- After your breakfast, we leave the desert and drive towards Sur. Stop at Wadi Bani Khalid which is a contrast to the desert. Here you can swim, sunbath, relax and have a picnic in the beautiful scenic wadi canyons.
- Upon arrival in Sur, stop at some old fortresses and visit the small factory where traditional wooden Oman Dhows are being built.
- Proceed to Ras Al Hadd and check-in at Turtle Beach Resort for dinner and overnight.In the evening, we drive to Ras Al Jinz to join the guided turtle watching at the reserve. Return back to the resort after the trip and overnight.
Day 9: WadiShab – Fins Beach
- Today we will take you to WadiShab. This Wadi is an enormous canyon gorge that is lined with palm trees and impressive indications of what the power of the water coming down from the mountains can do in nature. With a 45 minute hike up through the canyon Wadi, we arrive at one of several crystal clear water pools. Tourists can swim on through the warm waters from pool to pool. Eventually we come to the last pool where an opening among the enormous rocks allows us to swim into an incredible crevice cave with a small waterfall. Inside, the sunlight filters in from the outside, turning the water into a beautiful turquoise blue whilst water showers down one side of the cave from the Wadi beyond. We can also visit the Fins Beach and enjoy the white sand beach and enjoy your time swimming.
- Overnight at WadiShab Resort.
Day 10: WadiTiwi – Bimah Sinkhole – Wadi Dam - Muscat
- After breakfast, we drive towards WadiTiwi. The village of Tiwi is full of traditional Omani buildings that date back centuries. You will be able to admire the beautiful landscape that fresh water springs have created there. Walking through banana plantations and date palm groves that have supported people here for centuries. After finishing your exploration of WadiTiwi, you will begin the trip back to Muscat. On the way you will make a final stop to see the Bimah Sinkhole and the Wadi Dam.
- The tour ends here and you will be dropped off to your hotel in Muscat for extension or to the airport for your departure flight.
------------END OF THE TOUR------------
How to proceed with the booking
We will try to our best to get back to you as soon as possible, between 1-3 days. Do not make any ongoing or additional travel plans until the tour is confirmed.
Once your booking is confirmed, we will require a deposit which are due within 15 days after confirmation of the tour. Final payment is due 5 days before tour date. We can also accept cash as final payment.
Cancellations & Refunds
All cancellation requests must be received in writing or confirmed email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more about our cancellation policy, please visit our Cancellation Policy Page.